Starting your own pest control business (Episode 5)
In today’s episode, we interview Jake Goodwin from Bug Masters of Santa Clara County and what it took for him to start his own business.
Check out Bug Master of Santa Clara County website for more information on Jacob’s company website is https://www.bugmastersanjose.com/
Here are the notes from today’s episode with Jake Goodwin.
• What got you into the pest industry?
I needed a job.
• What inspired you to move from the big company to start your own company?
To be master & commander of your own destiny.
It was mainly a financial decision.
What were some of the hoops you had to jump through to get your company started?
See if you can avoid the small business administration.
If you need to go that route expect it to take 2 to 3 months minimum.
Getting your operator’s license in California takes time.
Don’t expect to have your company up & running in 30 days.
• How long have you been up & running?
A little over 2 months. (At the time of the filming)
• What went into the decision to buy a company & How did you find that company?
A lot of companies with no cash flow fail.
66% of small businesses will survive in 2 years.
50% of small businesses will survive 5 years or more. (https://www.fundera.com/blog/what-percentage-of-small-businesses-fail)
I found the company to buy through making an acquaintance at a gas station.
Networking can be huge in finding a company to buy.
• What aha moments have you had during this process of being a business owner?
Do not tie in the purchase of any equipment with the bank loan for your business.
Make sure to purchase equipment separately (eg. Truck, office, etc.) because the bank owns it until it is paid off.
• What kind of hours are you working?
5 to 6 hours a day in the field.
5 to 10 hours per week in administration work.
• What software database are you using?
ServBasic (http://www.servbasic.com/) It’s a free system.
No matter what you use you want to be able to review what you have on paper.
• What would be a takeaway you would want to leave The Posse?
Make sure you are ready for the challenge.
Do you have enough different kinds of experience?
Learn what you can while you can.
Soft Skills is about Association, Association is everything.
As a parent aren’t you worried about who your kids are hanging out with? (It affects their attitudes, their actions & their beliefs)
I drove my pool business into the ground because of my poor thinking. My self-talk was horrible – I can’t, I won’t, I don’t measure up.
I had a mentor tell me to read & listen to positive books & audios for several hours every day. I decided to spend 3 to 4 hours a day for three years intentionally choosing to reprogram my brain.
Please feel free to comment on today’s episode and let us know what you would like to see in future episodes.
#thepestposse #pestcontroltraing #startingabusiness #pestmanagementtraining
Source video. Follow the youtuber for more.
- How To Do Your Own Home Pest Control | DIY Pest Control
- How to do a General Pest Control Treatment – DIY Pest Control | DoMyOwn.com
- Do Your Own Mosquito Control
- How to Keep Pests Out of your Garden, 5 Tips for Organic Pest Control
- Best Do It Yourself Home Pest Control
- Biological Pest Control on Vegetable Crops
- Integrated Pest Management | Part – 1 | IPM | Cultural Control method | Mechanical Control Method
- PEST CONTROL FOR BEGINNER GARDENERS: Prevent Unwanted Bugs
- Organic Pest Control Spray for Your Vegetable Garden for Aphids & Chewing Insects
- BEST INSECT CONTROL FOR YARD ~ SEASON LONG PEST CONTROL
- Ladybugs for pest control
- Pest Control | Ecology & Environment | Biology | FuseSchool
- BEST ORGANIC PESTICIDE FORMULA | Home made Pest Control Recipe
- How To Spray Home Like A Pest Control Pro! -Jonny DIY
- Insect Netting for all Glass Greenhouses Pest Control
Last update 2021-04-18. Price and product availability may change.